#1445 The Old Oak

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1445 The Old Oak

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

To quote director Ken Loach: '"The Old Oak" is probably my last film'. If that's indeed the case, the 87-year old filmmaker - whose first film, "Poor Cow" starring Terence Stamp, was released in 1967 - can look back upon a long and successful career as an independent filmmaker with a penchant for the plight of the working class. Of his many films, #0929 "The Angels' Share" (about a band of misfits on a Whiskey heist) was sneaked in 2012, and #0722 "It's a Free World ..." (tackling the globalized economy from the ground up) was shown in 2008. This time, it's the refugee crisis that comes to a town in Northern England - and triggers responses which should ring a bell for us in Germany as well. Here's the trailer:

As almost always in the last 20+ years , Loach opted to use largely unknown and/or amateur performers for the film; for example, while Dave Turner as pub owener TJ had at least roles in a few of Loach's previous projects, Ebla Mari as refugee Yara does not have any other IMDb credit. How did you like the film? Did you consider it entertaining, boring, insightful or propaganda? Please let us know in a reply to this posting.
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1445 The Old Oak

Beitrag von Roughale »

Der Film begann zäh, sehr zäh, aber ich war vom Dialekt begeistert und hatte meinen Spass, dann nahm mich die Geschichte in Bann und ich fühlte mich sehr wohl und ging mit dem Wunsch aus dem Saal, dass mehr Leute so denken und das Vorgehen mal versuchen miteinander anstatt gegeneinander Probleme anzupacken... You may say I'm a dreamer... 2+
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
Re: #1445 The Old Oak

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

Hallo allerseits,
von mir gibt es eine glatte "Zwei" für den Film. Ich fand auch, daß er sehr ruhig anfing, war aber von der lebensnahen Darstellung der Dialoge und Situationen schnell fasziniert. Die beiden Hauptdarsteller - Dave Turner als Kneipenwirt TJ und Ebla Mari als syrischer Flüchtling Yara - trugen mit ihrer charismatischen und aufrichtigen Darstellung ebenfalls dazu bei, daß man der Geschichte auch durch etwas zähere Momente folgte. In der letzten halben Stunde wurde man dafür dann mit ein paar wirklich brillanten Sequenzen voller stiller Emotionalität belohnt, die zum besten gehören, was ich in diesem Jahr auf der Leinwand gesehen habe. Von daher ist die "Zwei" hochverdient, für mich der drittbeste Sneakfilm nach "Past Lives" und "The Whale".

Gruß
Kasi Mir
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Antworten