#1411 Seneca, or: On the Creation of Earthquakes

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1411 Seneca, or: On the Creation of Earthquakes

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

"Seneca" is Stuttgart-born Robert Schwentkes fifth Sneak film, but it may be his weirdest to date. The film, which was co-written by him and little-known scribe Matthew Wilder, takes us back to the 1st century A.D., where Rom was rules by emperor Nero, and one of the most famous philosophers was Seneca, whose legacy has survived to this day. More on Seneca can be found at Wikipedia; the film replicates a few events from Senecas last months/years, but takes a liberal approach in framing them for a more modern audience, sometime with outright anachronistic elements. Here's the trailer:

Of course, I have to ask what you though of John Malkovich's performance as the titular Seneca, as he has by far the most "dialogue" (or should I write monologue) to perform? What did you think of the story, and the setting (rural Rome was recreated in Morocco). I don't want to do a Seneca here, so just let us know what you thought of this movie, okay?
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1411 Seneca, or: On the Creation of Earthquakes

Beitrag von Roughale »

Kunst gehört in ein Museum aber nicht in ein Kino - 6
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
joe22589
mySneak Virgin

Re: #1411 Seneca, or: On the Creation of Earthquakes

Beitrag von joe22589 »

Habe diesen bescheuerten Film nach 28 Minuten verlassen. Total verärgert, denn er wurde auch von ZDF und Arte (mit)produziert und somit steckt auch Kohle von mir in diesem shice. Ich stehe nicht auf Farcen oder Grotesken als Form cineastischen Ausdrucks. Es ist ein Humor, der sich mir nicht erschließt und auch niemals erschließen wird. Seneca - verkörpert von Mister Malkovich, war eine nervtötende Laberbacke, Nero ein debiler Tyrann (potzblitz!) und die "Warum wurde dieser Film gedreht"-Frage konnte ich mir nicht beantworten, denn dieses Machwerk ist flüssiger als Wasser - es ist überflüssig! ("Alles fließt", Seneca). Geraldine Chaplin spielte auch mit. Hat sie vorher das Drehbuch gelesen?
Antworten