#1318 Dark Waters (2019)

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1318 Dark Waters (2019)

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

"Dark Waters" is an odd choice for filmmaker Todd Haynes; the Californian filmmaker previously directed movies which played in arthouse cinemas ("Far From Heaven", "Velvet Goldmine", "I'm Not There", and of course his previous sneak film #1090 "Carol") and were more character-driven. That's not to say that the film did not feature strong characters, but the tale of one of the biggest environmental cases of the US (with DuPont, one of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world, at its center), is decidedly less artistic that Haynes' previous efforts and more focused on telling its story, which is by itself no easy task, as the various lawsuits, expert analyses and fact-finding operations spanned more than two decades in total. Producer and main star Mark Ruffalo first learned about the case(s) in the New York Times article (behind a subscription barrier, though mobile access seems to be possible) "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare" and thought the subject matter could be brought to a larger audience's attention via a movie adaptation, which was eventually written by Matthew Carnahan (#0755 "State of Play", #1137 "Deepwater Horizon") and Mario Correa (who previously worked on documentaries). Another writeup especially regarding the factual accuracy of "Dark Waters" can be found at Slate.

And here's the trailer:

How did you like "Dark Waters"? What about the performance by Mark Ruffalo als lawyer Rob Bilott, by Tim Robbins as his boss, and Anne Hathaway in a surprisingly minor role als Billot's wife? How did you enjoy the film's storytelling, visuals and length in general? Please tell us your thoughts about "Dark Water", preferably not in a truckload of boxes full of paper, but rather as a concise reply to this post. 8)
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Macao
mySneak Aficionado
Re: #1318 Dark Waters (2019)

Beitrag von Macao »

Ein toller Film.
Die Informationen haben es in der Tiefe bisher auch nicht in meine Nachrichtenblase geschafft.

Der Film und ins besondere Mark Ruffalo hatten eine ständige Spannung vermittelt ohne echte Action. Das hat mir am meinsten gefallen.

-> 2
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1318 Dark Waters (2019)

Beitrag von Roughale »

Klasse Film! Ich bin leider sehr kurz angebunden und werde bestmmt vergessen bei Zeit mehr zu schreiben, ich frag mich jetzt schon was ich noch wollte, ach ja eine 1 geben ;-)
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Antworten