#1314 The Personal History of David Copperfield

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1314 The Personal History of David Copperfield

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

No this is not about a magician. 8)

Armando Iannucci has been a fan of the works of Charles Dickens for a long time; he even made a documentary about the scribe back in 2012. The Glaswegian author-director with italian heritage has mainly worked in TV, both in Britain (where he is most well-known for his tales of talk show host and DJ Alan Partridge, played by Steve Coogan) and the US (where he collected awards and nominations for his political sitcom "Veep"). Then, in 2017, he turned to the big screen and made "The Death of Stalin" into a farcial comedy. For "David Copperfield", he chose to lighten up the proceedings with many comedic moments and employed a few other techniques to keep the material fresh, as can be seen in the trailer:

How did you like "The Personal History of David Copperfield"? What about Dev Patel in the title role (and as narrator of his own story), plus the big cast of - mainly british - name actors from Hugh Laurie to Tilda Swinton, Peter Capaldi and Ben Whishaw, to name but a few? How did you enjoy the decidedly quirky way of storytelling that Iannucci employed? Don't keep your thoughts about the film in a little box, let them shine in a reply to this post.
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Macao
mySneak Aficionado
Re: #1314 The Personal History of David Copperfield

Beitrag von Macao »

Ein fantastisches bunter Film, der eine besondere Art der Erzählung hat.
-> 2

PS: Ich glaube in der Übersetzung wird der Film nicht mehr funktionieren.
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies

Beitrag von Roughale »

Absolut interessante Erzälweise, gutes Schauspiel (teilweise wohl gewollt übertrieben, besonders von letzten Doctor Who Capaldi), aber trotzdem konnte der Film mich nicht voll in seinen Bann ziehen, ich kann nicht mal sagen warum, es kam mir oft einfach zu lang vor und dann am Ende ging es mir fast zu schnell. Von mir daher eine 3+.
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Macao
mySneak Aficionado

Beitrag von Macao »

FYI:
aus der Wikipedia: David Copperfield (Zauberkünstler):
David Kotkin, der in bürgerlichen Verhältnissen aufwuchs und dessen Eltern ein Herrenmodegeschäft in Metuchen betrieben, lernte in einem Ferienlager für Bauchredner seine ersten Zaubertricks. Nachdem der kanadische Zauberer Doug Henning das Genre „Zaubermusical“ erfunden hatte, wurde Kotkin mit nur 17 Jahren in dem Musical The Magic Man besetzt. Anfangs hatte sich der Sohn jüdischer Einwanderer aus Russland „Davino“ genannt; wegen des eleganten Klanges entschied er sich nun – nach der Hauptfigur aus dem gleichnamigen Roman von Charles Dickens – für David Copperfield.[1]
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Antworten