#1309 Waves (2019)

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1309 Waves (2019)

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

And we're going indie again. "Waves" is the third feature-length film from Texas-born filmmaker Trey Edward Shults, who originally studied business management when the movie bug got to him; he then worked in various job on three film productions by director Terrence Malick including "Song to Song" (Sneak #1164) while making short films and finally expanding one of his ideas to the feature-lenght "Krisha" in 2015, about a family reunion and mostly starring relatives of Shults, including himself. After that, he wrote and directed the psychological horror film "It Comes at Night" starring Joel Edgerton and Riley Keough, among others; that film also featured young actor Kelvin Harrison jr., who plays a major role as Tyler in Shults' newest film, family drama "Waves", for which the trailer looks like this:

Now, that's a trailer that doesn't give away much about the movie! How did you like "Waves"? Did you like the performances by Harrison jr. as Tyler, and Taylor Russell as his sister Emily, by Alexa Demie as his girlfriend Alexis, plus Sterling K. Brown and Renée Elise Goldsberry as their parents and last but not least Lucas Hedges as fellow wrestler Luke? Write down your thoughts about the film into a reply to this post - in any aspect ratio you like. 8)
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1309 Waves (2019)

Beitrag von Roughale »

The cat was sweet, the episode with the dying dad was emotional, the rest was boring, tedious and partially nauseating.

Art should stay in museums and not pest us at the cinemas...

Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
emma
Mistress of Ceremonies

Beitrag von emma »

The cat was sweet, the episode with the dying dad was emotional, the rest was amazing, beautiful and partially breathtaking.

Art is more than just "based on a true story" or genetic mainstream movies and has a place in the cinematic world.

Die L. emma
You can't not communicate
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

I won't talk about the cat. 8)

I liked the film, but don't consider it to be the masterpiece many US critics made it out to be. As a storytelling fan when it comes to movies, I found many of the visual tricks that supported or in some parts replaced the narrative to be overused (both in the number of times and in the length of each use) and distracting. More than once, I looked at my watch when the film showed colorful patterns or dealt with one or two characters essentially doing nothing. I don't discount the use of these techniques altogether, though, as there were several scenes where those little quirks helped to understand the motivations, emotions, and trains of thought of the characters. I just think that a less sprawling use (which in fact reminded me of some Terrence Malick films) would have resulted in a more concise and poignant film.

I also found the second half of the movie (where the focus shifts completely) to be more fragmented and less compellingly told than the first hour; furthermore, I would have liked more screnes with the parents fleshing out their tumoil and grief better. That's what kept me from putting the film into "good" territory; I freely concede that moviemaniacs with more of a taste for flair than me will rate the film much higher, though.

Roughale
Master of Ceremonies

Beitrag von Roughale »

When 3 Aquarius people are not of the same opinion :lol:
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

Well, the zodiac symbol for Aquarius consists of two - wait for it - waves. Go figure. :twisted:
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies

Beitrag von Roughale »

Kasi Mir hat geschrieben:Well, the zodiac symbol for Aquarius consists of two - wait for it - waves. Go figure. :twisted:
Na das erklärt den Titel des Films, da wollte ich auch schon nach fragen, ist wohl in der Verdrängung untergegangen :mrgreen: Zu Beginn dachte ich noch es geht um Surfer :lol:
Antworten