#1286 Skin (2018)

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1286 Skin (2018)

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

Israeli director Guy Nattiv - who has been living and working in Los Angeles for almost a decade now - made two films called "Skin" in the same year. The first one was a 21-minute short film telling a story of racial violence starting out of a simple smile, and showing what influece parents can have over their children; it won the Oscar for "Best live-action short film" earlier this year. At that point, Nattiv had already completed his feature-length film called "Skin", which is quite similar thematically, but tells a completely different, and most importantly true story about a US neo-nazi activist, and his turn away from the violence, the hatred, and the tattoos he had acquired over the years. The story of Bryon Widner was, as was the case with "Fighting for my Family" back in April, first featured in a made-for-TV documentary called "Erasing Hate" which originally aired on US news channel MSNBC back in 2011, which Nattiv saw some time later and began on a scripted retelling of Widner's story. He invented a few dramatic moments of his narrative and created fictional versions of the neo-nazi club members which are a surrogate family for Bryon at the beginning of the film, but otherwise stayed pretty close to the fact, as our friends at History vs. Hollywood have documented.

Here's the trailer for the longform movie "Skin":

How did you like the film, which was pretty bleak and brutal at times and didn't shy away from showing the less appealings aspects of the main protagonist at times? How did you like the actors, mainly Jamie Bell as Bryon and Danielle Macdonald (whom we got to know as "Patti Cake$" in a much lighter film two years ago) as his eventual love interest Julie? How unnerving was the movie for you? Please tell us what you thought of "Skin" in a reply to this post.
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Macao
mySneak Aficionado
Re: #1286 Skin (2018)

Beitrag von Macao »

Ich fand, dass der Film den Auf- und Ausstieg gut darstellen konnte.

-> 2
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1286 Skin (2018)

Beitrag von Roughale »

Jamie Bell hat das wirklich sehr überzeugend dargestellt und Vera "Mama Bates" Farminga hatte ich nur fast erkannt, dachte einmal, sie wär es und dann habe ich das wieder verworfen ;) Ich hätte mir zwar noch ein wenig mehr zu den Beweggründen erfahren, was die Jungs in diese untragbare "Familie" getrieben hat, aber vielleicht ist das besser so, als eine ausgewalzte Erklärung, die einem nicht gefällt. Das was angedeutet wurde, auch bei dem New Kid, war schon stimmig und vergleichbar mit der Vita von Junkies oder vergleichbaren Abgestürzten. Ein Thema, das mich schon immer sehr interessiert hat, leider auch mit unschönen Erfahrungen im engen Umfeld. Im Gegensatz dazu fand ich die erklärungsarme Darstellung der Pseudofamilie sehr gut, solch Leute gibt es und labilere Menschen fangen sie leicht ein und einmal gefangen, ist man ziemlich verloren, daher fand ich es richtig klasse, dass hier ein Weg eines erfolgreichen Ausstieges dargestellt wird - toll und für alle geretteten sollte man dem Engagement der Retter sehr dankbar sein!

Ich kann wegen der persönlichen Berührung dem Film nur eine 1 geben.
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Antworten