#1250 Ben is Back

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1250 Ben is Back

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

Peter Hedges, the writer-director of tonight's sneak movie, started out as a theatre playwright. In the early 1990s, he began to write what would become his debut novel "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?", which he quickly adapted into a screenplay for the 1993 movie adaptation by Lasse Hallström (for which Leonardo di Caprio got an Oscar nomination). It took another decade (in which he wrote for both theatre and film, producing works such as "About a Boy") before he tried out directing his own work with "Pieces of April" (for which Patricia Clarkson gon an Oscar nomination). "Ben is Back" is his fourth film as writer-director after "Dan in Real Life" (Sneak #0688) and "The Odd Life of Timothy Green". This time, one of his main stars is closely related to him: the titular Ben is played by his son Lucas who got his first Oscar nomination for "Manchester by the Sea" (#1147)

This is the trailer for "Ben in Back":

How did you like this final movie of 2018? How would you rate the performances by Julia Robers and Lucas Hedges, but also by supporting players such as Courtney B. Vance and Kathryn Newton. Drug-infused parent-child dramas seem to be en vogue this season, how did you like this first entry about a returned "black sheep"? Please tell us what you thought about "Ben is Back" in a reply to this post - and all the best for 2019!
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1250 Ben is Back

Beitrag von Roughale »

Solider Film, thematisch sehr ähnlich, wie der von mir in London gesichtete Beautiful Boy bei einer Sneak dort (called "Screen Unseen"), im Vergleich dazu schneidet Ben is Back etwas schwächer ab, weil ich das Schauspiel hier nicht ganz so gut fand. Das Ende kam etwas plötzlich, besonders, weil es den Zuschauer recht unwissend über die Zukunft Bens zurücklässt, da wär ein etwas kitschigeres Ende fast besser gewesen, aber
Spoiler:
wenigstens kein Unhappy Ending
- ich denke eine glatte 2 passt hier gut!

Das war's, kein Kino mehr dieses Jahr^^
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Macao
mySneak Aficionado
Re: #1250 Ben is Back

Beitrag von Macao »

Ein guter spannender Thriller um ein schweres Thema.

Der Film zeigt auch die Problematik der Co-Abhängigkeit ohne diese direkt als solche zu benennen.

Eine 2.
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Antworten