#1232 The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1232 The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

Much has been written about Terry Gilliam's various efforts to make a film about the famous literary figure of Don Quixote. In fact, he tried to start production in 1989, but the less-than-stellar box office for his big-budget comedy "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" made funding for another costume film impossible for a while. It wasn't until after the runaway success of "12 Monkeys" that he could finally tackle the subject, secured a 30 million dollar budget, and started filming in 2000. The rest is history, as they say - the budget was not as finalized as it seemed, the actor for the title role suddenly got very sick, and a freak rain and flooding washed away most of the sets. In the end, the production had to be canceled - the whole story is detailed in a feature-length documentary that I highly recommend.

In the following years, Gilliam made several attempts to get the project restarted - he even cast actors like Robert Duvall, Ewan McGregor, and John Hurt for the main roles, but time and time again, he couldn't get it done. Therefore, it's almost a miracle, that the eighth attempt finally stuck and he could make his take on the man from La Mancha.

Which looks like this:

And what did you think about this latest (and long-awaited) crazy story from the mind of Terry Gilliam? How do you compare it to his most recent films,
"The Zero Theorem" (Sneak #1032) and "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" (#0786)? How to his classic films like "Brazil", "The Fisher King", and "12 Monkeys" (#0072)? And what about the cast, from Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce to Stellan Skarsgård, Olga Kurylenko and Joana Ribeiro? Teel us your thoughts about "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" in a reply to this post - and beware of the giants, um, windmills ...
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
Macao
mySneak Aficionado
Re: #1232 The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Beitrag von Macao »

Ein herrlich verrückter Film, der ständig zwischen Drama, Wahnsinn, Humor und der Realität springt.

Eine klare -1-
I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this. -- Emo Phillips
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1232 The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

Beitrag von Roughale »

Komisch, ich wollte genau sowas schreiben wie Macao, dann eben etwas anders:

25 in der Mache und das merkt man dem Film an, aber definitiv nicht im negativen Sinn! Ich denke, die dazukommende Dokumentation wird noch viel Aufschluss über den Film geben, darauf freue ich mich besonders, das war bei Brazil (den ich nach der Erstsichtung schon verehrt hatte!) schon eine verdammt gute Sache! Terry G. ist nun mal der Don Quixote untzer den Filmemachern, bestimmt nicht einfach, abert sowas sagt man Genies oft nach - das ist er definitiv! Schade, dass wir nur den Radio-Trailer für seinen wahrscheinlich bekanntesten Film im Vorprogramm hatten, aber irgendwie passte auch das!^^ Ich kann hier einfach nur eine 1 geben.

Schade, dass es doch einige Abwanderungen gab, aber dass der Film nicht Jedermanns Sache ist, war abzusehen... Da will ich keinem schlechten geschmack oder sonstwas einreden, Gilliam war/ist wird immer speziell sein und ja, ich bin ein Fan:

Bild
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Antworten