#1112 High-Rise

This is the place for discussions about recent (and ancient) sneak movies.
Diskutiert hier über aktuelle (oder historische) Sneakfilme!

Moderatoren: Kasi Mir, emma, Niels

Antworten
Kasi Mir
mySneak.de Team
#1112 High-Rise

Beitrag von Kasi Mir »

If any of you thought "High-Rise" looked a little outdated or - to put a positive spin on it - retro, then you were on to something. The film is based on a novel by J.G. Ballard which was published in 1975, when apartment towers like the one depicted in the movie where all the rage. Coincidentally, my parents and I moved into a - much smaller - "Betonklotz" in just that year, and while there was no class warfare to speak of, quite a few of the small things the film depicts - not the least of which is the brutal 'charm' of naked conrete - rang a bell with me.

Ballard (1930-2009) was a kind of sci-fi writer who specialized in man-made dystopias. As his Wikipedia page points out, the term "Ballardian" even refers to "dystopian modernity, bleak man-made landscapes and the psychological effects of technological, social or environmental developments". Nevertheless, the first of his novels that was adapted into a movie wasn't about a sci-fi dystopia, but rather the semi-autobiographical "Empire of the Sun" which Spielberg made almost 30 years ago. Two decades ago, David Cronenberg turned his "Crash" (no, not the 2004 Oscar winner about everyday racism in America) into a very divisive movie (not all that surprising for a Cronenberg film 8-) ).

Here's the trailer for "High-Rise":

How did you like the film by Ben Wheatley, who used to make small films and animations featured on his and his wife's blog before starting to work for companies and television, and ultimately making movies? How do you rate the perfomances by Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller etc.? Please share your thoughts about "High-Rise" in a reply to this post.
"Sometimes, you can still catch me dancing in it."
"My mind has an endless capacity for useless information."
rou
mySneak Aficionado

Re: #1112 High-Rise

Beitrag von rou »

Hm. Dafür brauche ich noch etwas. Irgendwie wirkte der so zusammenhanglos und teilweise doch recht unerklärt sprunghaft - aber er hatte auch eine interessante Atmosphäre und ein paar tolle Einstellungen... trotzdem weiß ich nicht, was er mir eigentlich sagen wollte. Na ich lass ihn lieber erst noch mal etwas nachwirken.
How can you read when you're blind?
Roughale
Master of Ceremonies
Re: #1112 High-Rise

Beitrag von Roughale »

Der nun mehr dritte Film der diesjährigen Fantasy Filmfest Nights, das finde ich fast bedenklich, nicht, aus unserer Sicht, sonder aus der Sicht des Festivals, früher liefen da besondere Filme, die man schwer im Kino sehen konnte, nun sind es Filme die dann auch in die Sneaks kommen, oh well, den hatte ich zum Glück dort nicht angesehen, obwohl er bei den Überlegungen lange dabei war (vor allem wegen des Regisseurs).

Was mir nicht bewusst war, ist, dass der Film auf einer Geschichte von J.G. Ballard basiert ist, mit dem Autor hatte ich schon zu Studiumszeiten grosse Probleme mit der Sperrigkeit und dem fast gewollten nicht zu verstehen seins, sozusagen der Lynch an der Schreibmaschine :lol: Im Nachhinein erklärt mir das auch, warum ich im Punkt Inhalt so gut wie keine Punkte vergeben kann - die gibt es aber im Bereich Optik, da punktet der Film am stärksten, aber auch beim Schauspiel gebe ich so einige Punkte. Zusammenfassen ist da schwierig, ich habe mich für eine 3 entschieden, den irgendwie ist eine brauchbare Handlung ja schon sehr wichtig, die fehlte mir komplett...
Peace, Roughale (aka Roughoul or AROHYOUGEEAGEAYELEE)
Antworten